FAQs :: James Harvie Photography

Why should I use a professional photographer?

This is a huge moment in your history and you have one chance at getting it right. A professional photographer will source the best locations and work with all light conditions to create and edit artistic images to ensure everyone and everything looks amazing.

My friend is a photographer so why don’t I use her?

Anyone can take a reasonable photo. But truly stunning images that are unique and beautiful are the work of a professional photographer. Ask your friend the following questions:

Is she an experienced wedding photographer with over 17 years of experience?

What type of photography is she best at?

Does she have detailed knowledge of the best locations for your wedding photography?

What is an AIPP Accredited Photographer?

I am an accredited photographer with the AIPP.

The Australian Institute of Professional Photography (AIPP) is Australia’s leading membership association for professional photographers. Make sure that your photographer is AIPP accredited before you book.

Should I choose a photographer based where I am getting married?

An experienced wedding photographer should have a portfolio that includes weddings from many and varied locations. Ask to see their work to ensure that it is consistent with knowledge of wedding venues, best photographic locations, correct light, and high quality images. Ask to see client testimonials.

How much time should we allow for photography?

Generally the wedding timeline will flow something like this:

Groom’s home – 45 minutes

Bride’s home – 1 ½ hours

Ceremony – 30 minutes to 1 hour

Family photos – 30 minutes

Location shoot – allow 45 minutes per location

For Melbourne weddings, you may need to allow extra time for parking and traffic.

For Mornington Peninsula weddings, we often photograph at the venue. You then need to allow travel time to various beach locations.

How many years have you been a professional photographer?

I have been a professional photographer since 2001.

Where can I see a list of your photography awards?

James Harvie Photography has won numerous awards and I continuously strive to produce work that is of the highest photographic standard. Hop over to my Awards page for a comprehensive list.

Do I get the high resolution edited images?

Absolutely. I will provide you with edited high resolution images.

Do you shoot weddings interstate and overseas?

I do shoot weddings overseas and find that my clients come to me as a result of my unique photography style. I also shoot interstate weddings, including on the Great Barrier Reef.

If you have bought an overseas package deal, you should check if it includes the photographer. Island photography can sometimes be a bit routine – the work is the same day in, day out. You may not have much choice in your photographer or what you get.

Do you provide a videography service?

No – I specialise in wedding photography, but you will find a list of recommended services (including a videographer) on my Recommendations page.